Metro Manila Development Authority Chairman Francis Tolentino recently announced the eight official entries to the 38th Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) which kicks off on Dec. 25.
- "Conyo Problems," a comedy by GMA Films Inc. starring Aljur Abrenica, Benjamin Alves, Michael Daez, Solenn Heusaff, Isabel Diaz, Bianca King and directed by Andoy Ranay;
- "El Presidente," a biopic action film from Cinema Concept International Inc. starring E.R. Ejercito and Cristine Reyes with Mark Meily as director;
- "Mga Kwento ni Lola Basyang: Pedrong Walang Takot/Mariang Alimango," a family adventure from Unitel Productions Inc. and TV5, starring Richard Gomez, Paolo Contis, Iza Calzado, Rufa Mae Quinto with directors Mark Meily and Chris Martinez;
- “Si Agimat, Si Enteng Kabisote and Me,” starring the comebacking tandem of Sen. Bong Revilla Jr. and Vic Sotto with Judy Ann Santos as leading lady, Tony Y. Reyes as director and Octoarts Films, M-Zet Productions, Imus Productions, APT Entertainment and GMA Films as producers;
- "The Strangers," a suspense-horror from Quantum Films starring Enrique Gil, Enchong Dee and Julia Montes under the direction of Lawrence Fajardo;
- "Shake, Rattle and Roll 14," the latest in Regal Entertainment’s horror franchise starring Vhong Navarro, Dennis Trillo, Herbert Bautista, Carla Abellana, Lovie Poe, Janice De Belen and Iza Calzado. The horror trilogy will be directed by Chito Roño;
- One More Try (working title)," a drama-romance by Roel Bayani starring Dingdong Dantes, Zanjo Marujo, Angel Locsin and Angelica Panganiban produced by ABS-CBN and Viva Films and
- “Sistereka" starring Vice Ganda and Kris Aquino under the direction of Wenn Deramas, produced by ABS-CBN and Viva Films
Better than last year?
The question in everyone's mind at the press conference was if this year's entries will earn more than P638-M, which was what the 2011 MMFF came up with.
Tolentino didn't give any figures but he said they would like the 38th MMFF to match last year's gross or even surpass it.
He added that this time around, "we hope we would be able to give more to the real beneficiary of the MMFF - which is the movie industry! Last year kasi we donated part of the MMFF income to calamity victims"
Selection results were tabulated by Alba Romeo & Co., the Philippine member firm of BDO International Ltd., a UK company representing a conglomerate of member firms worldwide. Alba Romeo and Co. has been chosen again official auditor of the 38th MMFF.